WHY DOES YOUR DOG BITE?
Dogs are the best, aren’t they? I don’t think anybody can argue about the loyalty of these adorable animals. We all get angry, in some way or the other. A bite, is one of the crucial weapons that a dog has. Let’s know why they do that-
- Dogs bite as a reaction to something. If the dog finds itself in a stressful situation, it may bite to defend itself or its territory.
- Dogs can bite because they are scared or have been startled. They can bite because they feel threatened. They can bite to protect something that is valuable to them, like their puppies, their food or a toy.
- Dogs might bite because they aren’t feeling well. They could be sick or sore due to injury or illness and might want to be left alone.
- Dogs also might nip and bite during play. Even though nipping during play might be fun for the dog, it can be dangerous for people. It’s a good idea to avoid wrestling or playing tug-of-war with your dog. These types of activities can make your dog overly excited, which may lead to a nip or a bite.
Dog Bite Prevention
Socialization is a good way to help prevent your dog from biting. Socializing your pet helps your dog feel at ease in different situations. By introducing your dog to people and other animals while it’s a puppy, it feels more comfortable in different situations as it gets older. It’s also important to use a leash in public to make sure that you are able to control your dog.
Educating yourself and the children you know on how, or if, they should approach a dog is also very important when it comes to preventing dog bites. Information is one of the best ways to prevent dog bites.
Dog Bite Treatments
Although you can provide first aid for a dog bite at home, it's very important to see a doctor. Dog bites can cause infections that need to be treated with antibiotics. To care for a dog bite injury at home:
- Place a clean towel over the injury to stop any bleeding.
- Try to keep the injured area elevated.
- Wash the bite carefully with soap and water.
- Apply a sterile bandage to the wound.
- Apply antibiotic ointment to the injury every day to prevent infection