THE SMALLEST DOG BREED-CHIHUAHUA
They have originated from Mexico. They had been named after a state named as Chihuahua in Mexico. They are the fourth most popular breed (by registration 117, 114). You should not confuse them with their size because although they look small they are very agile and sporty. They are one of the top ten watchdogs. They are very low maintenance dogs ( they require the least cost of grooming and exercising). They can easily catch cold so in colds take special care of them ( make them wear sweaters). They can be unfriendly with other dogs and strangers as well.
- Color: black, white, fawn, chocolate, cream, gold.
- They have two coat lengths.
- The male Chihuahua should be from 15 centimeters to 23 centimeters.
- The female Chihuahua should be from 15 centimeters to 23 centimeters
- The weight of male Chihuahua should be from 1.8kgs to 2.7kgs.
- The weight of female Chihuahua should be from 1.8kgs to 2.7kgs.
- They will make your journey beautiful for 12 to 20 years.
They are one of those who gain up obesity very fast so it's important to be aware while feeding them. You need to divide their meal between two halves and, they should not cross their diet at any cost. Serve them with 1/4 to 1/2 cups of food a day. Because overfeeding them can create a major problem and you may need to consult the doctor.
You have to divide the meal of your dog according to their body needs so it's important for you to analyze their body demand. One more important thing about a pet is that never feed them with human food because that can be toxic for their body and you may need a doctor.
They need to take bath at regular intervals and, you need not to rub the coat while bathing. Their nails should be trimmed every time after bathing. They should brush their teeth at least 2 to 3 times. Another important thing, you should keep in mind while washing your pet is that you should dry their ear well so that there lies no chance of fungal or any other infection. You should comb their coat 3 to 4 times a week so that there are no tangles.
These dogs are receptive to training. They are agile and obedient. Even to housetrain them is not a big hurdle. They may get aggressive with other dogs and strangers so you have to train them properly.
MEDICAL TIPS :
HIP DYSPLASIA -
- In this condition, the bones don't fit into the hip joint.
- The dog will have pain and will be low on rear legs.
- They have low blood sugar.
- This can be treated at an early age.
HEART MURMURS -
- This is caused when there is a disturbance in the flow of blood.
- Blood doesn't flow properly in the body especially in the chambers of the heart.
PULMONIC STENOSIS -
- It occurs when the pulmonic valve is malformed.
COLLAPSED TRACHEA -
- In this, the dog starts inhaling at a rapid rate which fattens up the trachea and makes it difficult for air to enter into lungs.
PATELLAR LUXATION -
- It is also known as slipped stifles.
- They are common in small dogs.
- When patella, femur, patella and tibia bones either slip or goes out of place.
HOW TO SELECT YOUR CHIHUAHUA :
There are two most important things you should keep in mind if you are planning to buy a Chihuahua :
First and the most important thing is to approach a reputed breeder because if you are not doing that remember you are on the verge of getting trapped and will be fooled out with a dog of the different breed. No doubt, that there are many beautiful dogs which will give you an illusion of being a Chihuahua but as we know looks is not all that is needed in a pet. So choose your breeder wisely and smartly. Try not getting fooled up from the fake breeders. Last but not the least choose the breeder with your area of interest.
The second thing I believe comes as being an important point of concern is the quality of pedigree and remember only a reputed or a good breeder will only know what is pedigree. Actually quality pedigree means what kind of parents, grandparents and ancestor that particular pet had, because through that only you will understand the abilities, temperament and health of that pet, as almost the same traits are passed as hereditary. Basically track record of a quality pup is very important.
Now what mostly happens is that at times we confuse the two important terms pedigree and puppy's registration but they are too different. Through pedigree, a reputed breeder can tell you what qualities the pet must have inherited but through registration papers, you identify who are the parents and ancestors of the pup but they will not tell you about the qualities.