SHAR PEI - "THE SAND SKIN DOG"
This breed has originated from China. Their name means the “sand skin”. It refers to distinct bristle like coat. They were developed to hunt and herd. They will fight and guard you. Talking about their looks, they are solid mass of loose wrinkles. They have round tail which has curls. They have a short nose and a dark tongue. They have very interesting looks. They are even called as pit fighter. They are very stubborn and have a wrinkled face.
- The height of female Shar Pei is from 46 centimeters to 51 centimeters.
- The height of male Shar Pei is from 46 centimeters to 51 centimeters.
- The weight of female Mastiff is from 18kgs to 25kgs.
- The weight of male Mastiff is from 25kgs to 30kgs.
They will be with you for 9 to 11 years.
- Colour: black, fawn, lilac, sand, cream and red.
- They have short and bristly coat.
They don't need to eat in bulk. You cannot make them eat for the whole day, you have to stick to a schedule and divide the meal into two times. They need 1 and a half cup to two and a half cups of high- quality food.
But with this I would even tell that the need of a dog's body varies from one dog to another because that depends completely on their physical needs. If your dog is sporty and an active one, then offcourse he will need more food than others. So, it's important to watch out your dog and accordingly develop up their eating habit.
It's important to feed your pet with the right quantity and quality of food to help them grow in the best manner they may can.
You should never share human food with your pet because that may contain elements which can be toxic for your pet for example potatoes, chocolates, etc.
Training them properly is very important and in that training it is important to socialize them as early as possible because in case if they are not socialized soon then they may develop aggression towards other animals and specially of same gender. We know one thing very well, that is what you sow is something what you get. So be aware while training them and focus over obedience training. Socializing them is very important. They don't need a lot of exercise, few minutes of walk daily will be more than enough. Physical exercise is important because that helps in burning stress and calories. Don't let them get bored because then they may get destructive.
First and the most important thing about their wrinkle and face is that they should be kept clean and dry always. You can clean them with baby wipes so as to keep them infection free. Always keep their wrinkles moisture free because bacteria may attack them and they may face severe infection. Yes, another thing is you cannot make them over eat because over eating will spoil their health and behaviour. You should bathe them after every two weeks. Their nails should be always trimmed. They are prone to joint damages so keep that in mind that their joints don't get hurt.
- In this condition the bones do not fit into hip joint.
- Dog will have pain and will be low on rear legs.
- It is caused due to different growth rate of three bones that together makes up dog's elbow causing joint laxity.
SHAR PEI FEVER
- This problem is caused when the dog has swollen hock.
- It may show some discomfort in moves.
- Symptoms are vomiting and diarrhea
DEMODETIC MANGE (DEMODICOSIS)
- It may pass to her pups in hair.
- Gaining weight can cause many problems to your dog. As you know your dog is a bit lazy one so, do not let them gain weight because cutting weight would become a big deal.
- They have flaky skin.
- They have bad smell.
- They are like allergies.
HOW TO SELECT YOUR SHAR PEI:
- There are two most important things you should keep in mind if you are planning to buy a Shar Pei.
- First and the most important thing is to approach a reputed breeder because if you are not doing that remember you are on the verge of getting trapped and will be fooled out with a dog of different breed. So, choose your breeder wisely and smartly. Try not getting fooled up from the fake breeders. Last but not the least choose the breeder with your area of interest.
- Second thing I believe comes as being an important point of concern is the quality of pedigree and remember only a reputed or a good breeder will know what is pedigree. Actually, quality pedigree means what kind of parents, grandparents and ancestor that particular pet had, because through that only you will understand the abilities, temperament and health of that pet, as almost the same traits are passed as hereditary. Basically, track record of a quality pup is very important.
Now what mostly happens is that at times we confuse the two important terms pedigree and puppy’s registration but they are too different. Through pedigree a reputed breeder can tell you what qualities the pet must have inherited but through registration papers you identify who are the parents and ancestors of the pup but they will not tell you about the qualities.