JACK RUSSEL TERRIER-THE BORN HUNTERS
"They were developed for hunting"
They have developed 200 years ago in England. There was a person called as John Russell who wanted an efficient hunting dog so he planned to develop a dog as he has thought which resulted into an energetic, agile and athletics Jack Russell Terrier. They were basically developed to hunt foxes. They have a charming and affectionate personality. They are very intelligent and determined especially when it comes to hunting. Although calling them family dogs won't be accurate but you can make them a family dog if have time and patience as well because teaching them manners is not at all an easy task. Children will love playing with them but they are aggressive towards other dogs.
- Colour: White, black and white, white and tan.
- There are two types of coats smooth coat and broken coat.
- Both of these coats are a double coat.
- The male Jack Russell terrier should be from 25 centimetres to 38 centimetres.
- The female Jack Russell terrier should be from 25 centimetres to 38 centimetres.
- The weight of male Jack Russell Terrier should be from 6.4 kgs to 8.2 kgs.
- The weight of female Jack Russell Terrier should be from 6.4 kgs to 8.2 kgs.
- They will make your journey beautiful for 13 to 16 years.
They are one of those who gains up obesity very fast so it's important to divide their meals into two. You need to divide their meal between two halves and should not cross their diet at any cost. Serve them with 1.25 to 1.75 cups of food a day. Because overfeeding them can create a major problem and you may need to consult the doctor.
You have to divide the meal of your dog according to their body needs so it's important for you to analyse their body demand. One more important thing about a pet is that never feed them with human food because that can be toxic for their body and you may need a doctor.
They need to take bath at regular intervals. Their nails should be trimmed every 2 weeks so that it doesn't hurt them because if their nails start clicking on the floor then it might not only hurt them but may also start to bleed. They should be brushing teeth at least 2 to 3 times. Another important thing which you should keep in mind while washing your pet is that you should dry their ear well so that there lies no chance of fungal or any other infection. You should comb their coat 3 to 4 times a week.
These dogs are not everyone's cup of tea so it's better to opt for this pet if you are already experienced. They are not at all similar to the one you watch on television because to make them that way and to civilise them you have to work really hard. They are very devoted towards hunting and are perfect jogging companion. They need at least 30 to 45 minutes of exercise. They love to dig and to jump high. They can jump for 5 feet.
MEDICAL TIPS :
HIP DYSPLASIA -
- In this condition, the bones don't fit into the hip joint.
- The dog will have pain and will be low on rear legs.
- They can easily have hearing issues.
- This problem is mostly related to the white coat.
- They catch but allergy very soon and it can be caused by anything. If he starts licking his paws or if he rubs his face more often then it's time to get him checked up.
LEG CALVE PERTHES DISEASE -
- It is a disease found in the small breed.
- There is an issue in hip joints.
- We may think it's like hip dysplasia but it's different.
- It may cause arthritis.
LENS LUXATION -
- This disease is caused when the lens of the eye is displaced as the ligaments which are holding it don't function up properly.
GASTRIC DILATATION VOLVULE -
- In this bloating happens which can be a life-threatening thing. In this, the dog is not able to vomit out the extra air in his stomach.
PATELLAR LUXATION -
- It is also known as slipped stifles.
- They are common in small dogs.
- When patella, femur, patella and tibia bones either slip or goes out of place.
- This happens because of thyroid gland when it goes unbalanced in the body.
HOW TO SELECT YOUR JACK RUSSELL TERRIER :
There are two most important things you should keep in mind if you are planning to buy a Jack Russell terrier.
First and the most important thing is to approach a reputed breeder because if you are not doing that remember you are on the verge of getting trapped and will be fooled out with a dog of the different breed. No doubt, that there are many beautiful dogs which will give you an illusion of being a Jack Russell terrier but as we know looks is not all that is needed in a pet. So choose your breeder wisely and smartly. Try not getting fooled up from the fake breeders. Last but not the least choose the breeder with your area of interest.
The second thing I believe comes as being an important point of concern is the quality of pedigree and remember only a reputed or a good breeder will only know what is pedigree. Actually, quality pedigree means what kind of parents, grandparents and ancestor that particular pet had, because through that only you will understand the abilities, temperament and health of that pet, as almost the same traits are passed as hereditary. Basically track record of a quality pup is very important.
Now what mostly happens is that at times we confuse the two important terms pedigree and puppy's registration but they are too different. Through pedigree, a reputed breeder can tell you what qualities the pet must have inherited but through registration papers, you identify who are the parents and ancestors of the pup but they will not tell you about the qualities.