GREYHOUND - THE RACERS
They have originated from Europe. They are the gentle affectionate kids. Being bred to hunt and chase hare, foxes and deer, they are found to be very agile. They are known for their speed and grace. They are known to be one of the fastest running dogs. They are not too social so start socializing them soon. They are even-tempered and not so aggressive dogs.
- The height of female GREYHOUND is from 68 centimetres to 71 centimetres.
- The height of male GREYHOUND is from 71 centimetres to 76 centimetres.
- The weight of female Greyhound is from 26kgs to 34kgs.
- The weight of male Greyhound is from 27kgs to 40kgs.
- They will be with you for 10 to 12 years.
- Colour: black, fawn, blue, red, white and black
FOOD HABITS :
They don't need to eat in bulk. You cannot make them eat for the whole day, you have to stick to a schedule and divide the meal into two. The male Greyhound needs two and a half cup to four cups of milk. The female Greyhound's need one and a half cup to three cups of high-quality food.
But with this, I would even tell that the need for a dog's body varies from one dog to another because that depends completely on their physical needs. If your dog is sporty and an active one, then, of course, he will need more food than others. So it's important to watch out your dog and accordingly develop up their eating habits.
It's important to feed your pet with the right quantity and quality of food to help them grow in the best manner they may can.
You should never share human food with your pet because that may contain elements which can be toxic for your pet for example potatoes, chocolates, etc.
Training them properly is very important and in that training, it is important to socialize them as early as possible because in case if they are not socialized soon then they may develop aggression towards other animals and especially of the same gender. We know one thing very well, that is what you sow is something that you get. So be aware while training them and focus over obedience training. Socializing them is very important. They don't need a lot of exercises, a few minutes of walk daily will be more than enough. Physical exercise is important because that helps in burning stress and calories. Don't let them get bored because then they may get destructive.
First and the most important thing about their ear and face is that they should be kept clean and dry always. You can clean their ears with baby wipes so as to keep them infection free. Always keep their ears free because bacteria may attack them and they may face severe infection. Yes, another thing is you cannot make them overeat because overeating will spoil their health and behaviour. You should bathe them every two weeks. Their nails should be always trimmed. They are prone to joint damages so keep that in mind that their joints don't get hurt.
MEDICAL TIPS :
- In this condition, the bones don't fit into the hip joint.
- The dog will have pain and will be low on rear
- They develop cataract at a very young age.
- This a hereditary disease.
- It occurs when the stomach gets filled with gas, air and keeps twisting.
- Gaining weight can cause many problems for your dog. As you know your dog is a bit lazy one so don't let them gain weight because cutting weight would become a big deal.
PROGRESSIVE RETINAL ATROPHY (PRA)
- This disease causes blindness in the dog.
- It is the habit of a dog to catch sensations that compensate a bit to their blindness.
OSTEOCHONDROSIS DISSECANS (OCD)
- There is an improper growth of the cartilage in the joints.
- It occurs mostly in the shoulder.
- This happens because of thyroid gland when it goes unbalanced in the body.
HOW TO SELECT YOUR GREYHOUND:
- There are two most important things you should keep in mind if you are planning to buy a GREYHOUND.
- First and the most important thing is to approach a reputed breeder because if you are not doing that remember you are on the verge of getting trapped and will be fooled out with a dog of the different breed. So choose your breeder wisely and smartly. Try not getting fooled up from the fake breeders. Last but not the least choose the breeder with your area of interest.
- The second thing I believe comes as being an important point of concern is the quality of pedigree and remember only a reputed or a good breeder will only know what is Actually quality pedigree means what kind of parents, grandparents and ancestor that particular pet had, because through that only you will understand the abilities, temperament and health of that pet, as almost the same traits are passed as hereditary. Basically track record of a quality pup is very important.
Now what mostly happens is that at times we confuse the two important terms pedigree and puppy's registration but they are too different. Through pedigree, a reputed breeder can tell you what qualities the pet must have inherited but through registration papers, you identify who are the parents and ancestors of the pup but they will not tell you about the qualities.