GIANT BREED-SAINT BERNARD
"This breed is very welcoming "
They originated from Switzerland. They were basically used to guard the grounds of Switzerland’s Hospice. They are versatile as they excel in almost all the fields like show rings, etc. They are very obedient in trials, drafting with this we mean pulling a cart and weight pulling competition as well. They are one of the most lovable dogs. Now we will discuss the description in detail:
- Male retrievers are from 28 to 30 inches.
- Female retrievers are from 26 to 28 inches.
- They gain their matured weight by two.
- Males weigh from 120 to 180 pounds.
- Females weigh from 110 to 140 pounds.
To check whether your dog is overweight or not you can perform a very well-known method:
First, look down at him. You should be able to see his waist. Then place your hands on his back, thumbs along the spine, with the fingers spreading downward. You should be able to feel his ribs even though you can't see them, it means he needs less food and more exercise.
Retrievers will make your journey special for8 to 10 years.
- The coat is short haired or long haired.
- The long-haired St. Bernard are slightly wavy but they can never be curly.
- The short haired St Bernard are smooth but dense.
- Colour: Brown and white, brown and dark shades, mahogany and white, mahogany black and white, mahogany brindle, mahogany white and dark shades, mahogany white and orange shade, orange and white, black and white, red and white, red brindle, tricolor.
They don't need to eat in bulk. You cannot make them eat for the whole day, you have to stick to a schedule and divide the meal between two times a day. They need 5 -6 cups of high-quality dry food in a day.
But with this i would even tell that the need of a dog's body varies from one dog to another because that depends completely on their physical needs. If your dog is sporty and an active one, then of course he will need more food than others. So, it's important to watch out your dog and accordingly develop up their eating habit.
It's important to feed your pet with the right quantity and quality of food to help them grow in the best manner they may can.
You should never share human food with your pet because that may contain elements which can be toxic for your pet for example potatoes, chocolates, etc.
- They need moderate amount of exercise.
- They don't need hours of training. Half an hour to 40 minutes, every day is enough to train them.
- They are not aggressive but they will bark when there is any reason or cause.
- You should socialize them early with different people and places. They are easygoing with children, but they are still not recommended for children because of their hound. They may hurt unintentionally.
First of all, just take care while selecting your pet because there are many dogs sold at the name of Saint Bernard so choose a reputed breeder. They love action and being sporty so try to keep them active. They are a bit mouthy so guide them well that what they need to chew and what not to chew. Don't let him run on hard surfaces until and unless it is matured. Yes, another thing is you cannot make them over eat because overeating will spoil their health and behavior.
The dog should take a bath every month at least. Never break the rules or the habit of bathing you develop in them. If by chance you find the fur has become too dirty and there is time for a next bathing session then you can clean their fur with a towel and dry shampoo, but never go with the excess wash logic as your excess wash habit can destroy the quantity and quality of their fur. Another important thing which you should keep in mind while washing your pet is that you should dry there ear well, so that there lies no chance of fungal or any other infection.
- In this condition the bones do not fit into the hip joint.
- The Dog will have pain and will be low on rear legs.
ELBOW DYSPLASIA -
- It is caused due to different growth rate of three bones that together makes up dog's elbow causing joint laxity.
- In this you will see your dog's eyelid may roll inward.
- In this the eyeball may get hurt.
- It is mostly hereditary.
- It can be controlled with medication.
- It causes seizures.
- They catch allergy very soon and it can be caused by If he starts licking his paws or if he rubs his face more often then it's time to get him checked up.
HOW TO SELECT SAINT BERNARD:
There are two most important things you should keep in mind if you are planning to buy a saint Bernard.
The first and the most important thing is to approach a reputed breeder because if you are not doing that remember you are on the verge of getting trapped and will be fooled out with a dog of a different breed. No doubt, that there are many beautiful dogs which will give you an illusion of being a saint Bernard but as we know looks is not all what is needed in a pet. So, choose your breeder wisely and smartly. Try not getting fooled up from the fake breeders. Last but not the least, choose the breeder in your area of interest.
The second thing I believe comes as being an important point of concern is the quality of pedigree and remember only a reputed or a good breeder will only know what is a pedigree. Actually, quality pedigree means what kind of parents, grandparents and ancestor that particular pet had, because through that only you will understand the abilities, temperament and health of that pet, as almost the same traits are passed as hereditary. A basic track record of a quality pup is very important.
Now what mostly happens is that at times we confuse the two important terms pedigree and puppy’s registration but they are too different. Through pedigree a reputed breeder can tell you what qualities the pet must have inherited, but through registration papers you identify who are the parents and ancestors of the pup but they will not tell you about the qualities.