DINNER DANGERS FOR YOUR CAT

DINNER DANGERS FOR YOUR CAT

During the festive season, you might be tempted to provide your feline friend with delicious treats, a big part of keeping your cat safe at Christmas is keeping them away from the food you love.

Although you won't be able to resist, it is common to want to treat your dears as member of the house, cats cannot recognize or distinguish sweet-smelling mixtures and dogs feeling of taste is quite weak, although they have a device on the rooftop of their mouth which enables them to ‘taste’ particular smells, they only have one-sixth the number of flavor buds that a human has.

  • Raw or even onion and garlic can be toxic, so just avoid your cat from kitchen worktops. Sage & onion dressing may seem an innocuous uneaten feast for your cat, but onions, garlic, leeks, shallots and chives (all Alliums) can cause toxicity, even when cooked. Dogs can also be concerned if they consume massive portions.
  • Raisins and grapes are also lethal to cats, even in tiny amounts. Christmas pudding is a no-no for dogs or cats due to deadly material in grapes and raisins can cause kidney malfunction. This creates fruit cake and mince pies out of bounds too.
  • With chocolates and sweets doing the courses at Christmas time, cats can be ardent to try them too. Please note chocolates are very harmful to cats, never keep your chocolates around them, even a bite would harm them.
  • Turkey and all the accessories are the best richness of the Christmas board but pets can easily suffocate on bones or even cooked bones from the turkey carcass can split easily and become abode or perforate your dog’s digestive region. 
  • Rich fatty foods can be a difficulty for everyone at Christmas, but festive overeating by your dog or cat may commence vomiting and diarrhea. Extended high-fat snacks can begin pancreatitis.
         
  • The cheese board is a temptation at any Christmas drinks party, just don’t slip any crumbs of blue cheese to the owner’s dog. Roquefort and other blue cheese contain mycotoxin roquefortine, to which dogs are sensitive to. Muscle tremors, seizures, and in worst cases even death have resulted from dogs eating large quantities or very overripe blue cheese. The toxin is also found on other moldy foods so bin-raiding pet owners beware!
  • The bad effects of overindulging in alcohol are all too well known at Christmas but remember it is significantly more toxic to dogs and cats than humans. Alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma and in extreme cases even death.

What should I do if I think my cat has been poisoned?

  • The first thing to do in case your cat has been harmed is to visit a vet immediately. If you’ve enrolled in your district veterinary tradition, you’ll be able to visit them during the Christmas period – all practices must have an emergency service available.
  • If you know what it is that has infected your cat, take the packaging or article in catechism to manifest to your vet. 
  • In case your cat is holding a fit, keep them in a dull, calm cabin without any movables or gadgets close to them so they can stay protected and call your vet instantly.