WEST HIGHLAND WHITE TERRIER
"They are big dogs in a little dog's body"
Originated from the United Kingdom, these dogs were basically bred for hunting (specially ratting). They are extremely alert and affectionate. They are very intelligent and independent as well. They have a lot of self respect and are very courageous, as a breed. He loves to entertain himself and will make you laugh. However, these dogs need a lot of obedience training.
- The height of female West Highland white terrier is from 23 centimeters to 28 centimeters.
- The height of male West Highland white terrier is from 25 centimeters to 30 centimeters.
- The weight of female West Highland white terrier is from 6 kg to 7 kg.
- The weight of male West Highland white terrier is from 7 kg to 10 kg.
They will be with you for 12 to 16 years.
- Color : White
- They have a double coat
They don't really need to eat in bulk. You cannot make them eat for the whole day so you have to stick to a schedule and divide the meal. But, they need high quality food and they need to eat 1/2 cup to 1 and 1/2 cup of food.
But with this I would add that the need of a dog's body varies from one dog to another because that depends completely on their physical needs. It's important to watch out your dog and accordingly develop and maintain their eating habits.
It's important to feed your pet with the right quantity and quality of food to help them grow in the best manner they can.
You should never share human food with your pet because that may contain elements which can be toxic for your pet such as potatoes, chocolates, etc.
Training them properly is very important and as a part of that training, it is important to socialize them as early as possible because in case if they are not social soon enough, then they may develop aggression towards other animals, especially of the same gender. One thing that we all have always known is, what you sow is what you get. So be aware while training them and focus over obedience training. They don't need a lot of exercise, just a few minutes of walking daily will be more than enough. Physical exercise is important because that helps in burning stress and calories. Don't let them get bored because then they may get destructive and as a result and they may start barking and biting.
First and the most important thing about their ears is that they should be kept clean and dry always. You can clean them with baby wipes so as to keep them infection free. Another thing is you cannot make them overeat because it will spoil their health and behavior. You should bathe them in every three weeks. Their nails should always be trimmed. They need a lot of time for grooming. They need proper exercise and play time. You should brush them two to three times a week. As they have a white coat, so keeping their coat clean is a must. Their coat may have tangles so try to detangle them soon.
- In this condition the skull bones are affected while they are growing.
- It is caused due to different growth rate of three bones that together make up the dog's elbow causing joint laxity.
- These are lung disease in which the air sacs present in body gets scars.
- It can lead to heart failure.
- It is also known as slipped stifles.
- They are common in small dogs.
- When patella, femur, patella and tibia bones either slip or goes out of place.
- They develop cataracts at a very young age.
- This is a hereditary disease.
- It occurs when the stomach gets filled with gas, air and keeps twisting.
HOW TO SELECT YOUR WEST HIGHLAND WHITE TERRIER
- There are two most important things you should keep in mind if you are planning to adopt a West Highland white terrier.
- First and the most important thing is to approach a reputed breeder because if you are not doing that remember you are on the verge of getting trapped and will be fooled out with dogs of different breed. So choose your breeder wisely and smartly. Try not getting fooled up from the fake breeders. Last but not the least chooses the breeder with your area of interest.
- Second thing I believe comes as being an important point of concern is the quality of pedigree and remember only a reputed or a good breeder will only know what pedigree is. Actually quality pedigree means what kind of parents, grandparents and ancestors that particular pet had, because through that only you will understand the abilities, temperament and health of that pet, as almost the same traits are passed as hereditary. Basically track record of a quality pup is very important.
Now what mostly happens is that at times we confuse the two important terms pedigree&puppy's registration but they are too different. Through pedigree a reputed breeder can tell you what qualities the pet must have inherited but through registration papers you identify who are the parents and ancestors of the pup but they will not tell you about the qualities.